Interior Design by Color

For the last several days, I've been  focusing on color...what are the trends in interiors for 2011? What are the fashion experts saying? (I have to confess, I have a new client that has hired me to assist her with, among other things, the interior paint in her new home. Not that I haven't study the theory of color and know how it plays into interior design but as a professional, I try to stay abreast of what may be available for my clients, hence the sudden research into what's "hot" right now.)

All of the sources provide a great deal of what we use in our interiors and also what we wear; interior color and fashion are directly correlated and strongly affect our everyday lives. Interesting thing is, they all have somewhat different predictions of what the newest trend in color will be. From Benjamin Moore to Farrow & Ball to Pantone to Sherwin Williams to Architectural Digest and Veranda...I studied there predictions and here's my take:

What I have confirmed, is that color, specifically that of which is used in home interiors, makes a resurgence from the past...everyone knows that fact. Who would have ever thought, as an example that peach-tones and avocado-tones would be back? Perhaps these colors aren't on the "hot" list for 2011 but they have certainly been popular, especially for those whom decorate in the nostalgic. Nonetheless, my point is this: no matter what the trends may dictate (although I personally appreciate the studies and development of new shades), I believe we should color our world with what makes us happy, comfortable, energized, confident and true...whatever the mood we wish to create. Whether in our clothes, color on our walls or upholstery, what appeals to one may not appeal - or be popular - for all.

Many years ago, I sold high-end retail clothing at a very upscale boutique. I'll never forget a middle-aged woman who desperately wanted to wear the clothing but felt the "style" too young for her age. My advice to her was to wear whatever she felt comfortable in...whether or not the current "fad" agreed. Therefore, I encouraged her to hold herself in confidence and show her personality. Lesson: don't limit yourself to what others think...it's much too boring!

Very much the same thing goes with your interior design: don't limit yourself to what may or may not be the trend. Interior design is, and should be for the individual interior space in which you live. Pick up any magazine and you'll see multiple interiors designed in multiple ways...everyone has a different take on what is beautiful. The goal of a good professional interior designer is to interpret what the client wishes, not to impress upon them your taste or style.

So...this brings me to what the experts say is the trend for 2011, because I believe everyone should be knowledgeable. Check out the websites of Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams, Pantone, Architectural Digest and Veranda, regarding color and interior design. I do love the colors but remember, if they don't appeal to you, so what? Use your comfort indicator...your gut feeling.

You have read this article with the title Interior Design by Color. You can bookmark this page URL http://terriedj.blogspot.com/2012/06/interior-design-by-color.html. Thanks!

No comment for "Interior Design by Color"

Post a Comment